Friday, November 15, 2013

Community

Community

One of the biggest culture shocks for me in Bali so far has been the immense sense of community I feel here. Living in a villa with so many other people is amazing, but watching and talking to the Balinese about family is truly an experience. They're so affectionate and understanding towards little ones, and after trying to research why (and battling to find answers) I asked our taxi driver (who had two kids of his own, a 14 year old son and 11 year old girl). 

He said that in their religion it was believed, babies were reincarnation of an ancestor and are seen as gods, and because of that they are treated so highly. For me it seemed so bizarre, I have always been around multitudes of religions, but to see my little Lilly-Mary as a god just seemed so foreign and unbelievable. After watching our driver play with her though, I could see his conviction.

It's shameful to admit, but when I watch the men of Bali play with Lilly-Mary, my mind would automatically jump to whether he was gay or not. A terrible stereotype but one that is really portrayed in western culture, that men who care for children are either gay or have another agenda.

It was such a sad realisation. Men are demonized so much in western culture, they are almost too scared to be seen as kind to children (especially if they're not related)but here in Bali, men are very, very affectionate to kids, they will happily hold babies and coo cheerfully. 
I'm often told how lucky I am to have a husband who is so hands on with his child, and I truly am! But watching the men here, it just seems so very normal.

In addition to that, I love how welcoming Bali is. I love that I can now walk down the street and know our neighbors. I love that despite the language barrier, I can bond with other parents here as our babies play. 








A lovely little family just down the road from us, I love how big their little boys eyes are!

Alba's little legs

The villa where we are staying














  

1 comment:

  1. I love this island so much. The people there are amazing and it felt like a culture shock for me too... they are so much more friendly and honest as they are in Europe...

    Wish you great time!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

52 Week Project (18) Australia (11) Bali (8) Birth (2) Borneo (1) Bus (6) Films (1) Food (1) Fremantle (1) Indonesia (1) Life (35) Lilly-Mary (37) Malaysia (1) Margaret River (1) Melaka (1) Penguin Island (1) Perth (3) Tips (9) Travel (25)